Kelly 1937

KELLY 1937
HAPTON, formally a separate civil parish, was by the County of Norfolk review Order 1935, transferred 
to the parish of Tharston: The village is situated 1 1/2 miles west from Flordon station on the 
Diss and Norwich section, and about the same distance south east from Ashwellthorpe station on the 
Wymondham and Forncett branch of the London & North Eastern railway, 5 south east from Wymondham and 
9 south west from Norwich, in the southern division of the County, Depwade hundred and petty sessional 
division, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Humbleyard, archdeaconary of Norfolk and 
diocese of Norwich. 

The church of St Margaret is a small but ancient edifice of flint stone in mixed styles, 
consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, erected in 1847, and containing
one bell; the church retains a piscina, a stoup, and an ancient chest: it was restored in 1869: in 1894 
the interior of the church was decorated and a carved oak pulpit was provided in 1906 and in 1932 
the chancel was again decorated: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1653. The 
living is a rectory of Flordon, gross yearly value about £425, in the alternate gift of Christs College, 
Cambridge, and the representative of the late Col. Sir Kenneth Hagar Kemp bart. C.B.E., D.L. and held since 
1936 by the Rev. Basil Silver Aldwell J.P., M.A. of Corpus Christi College Cambridge, who resides at Flordon. 

There is a Unitarian Chapel, seating 100 persons and founded in 1741 by Mrs Gay, and an attached 
burial ground: the chapel is endowed with the rent of about 121 acres of land in the parish. 

The Church Institute was erected in 1893 bt the Rev. T. Orbell M.A. vicar 1892-8, and opened by 
the master of Christs College. 

Lord Berners is the Lord of the manor. Hapton House, which dates from 1530, is an interesting 
example of the building art of that period. The chief land owner is Capt. Sir Humphrey E. de 
Trafford bart. M.C. 

The soil is gravel and flint; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips.

Post & tel Call Office. Letters through Norwich. Tasburgh nearest M. O. office. Telegrams dispatched at 
Flordon railway station (closed sun).

Private Residents
Copeman Lieut.-Col Hugh Charles C.M.G D.S.O. Hapton Parsonage
Hopkins William B. Hapton House

Commercial
Arnold Frederick A. Builder
Bloom Walter Clement, farm bailiff to Capt. Sir Humphrey E. de Trafford bart. M.C. Hapton Hall
Deeks Charles W. market gardener
Dunthorne Henry norton, farmer, Hillside farm
Ludkin George & Son, grocers & post office
White Horse PH (William Robert Woods)