Doomsday place name: Habituna
Total population: 33 households (quite large).
Total tax assessed: 0.7 geld units; 1.8 exemption units (medium).
Taxable units: Taxable value 5.5 exemption units. 11.25 villtax. Taxed on 5.3.
Value: Value to lord in 1066 £5.6. Value to lord in 1086 £9.
Households: 21 villagers. 38 smallholders. 7 slaves. 4 freemen. 5 free men.
Ploughland: 5 lord’s plough teams. 9.5 men’s plough teams.
Other resources: Meadow 58 acres. Woodland 55 pigs. 1 mill. 2 churches. 0.32 church lands.
Livestock in 1086: 1 cobs. 9 cattle. 30 pigs. 48 sheep. 48 goats.
Lords in 1066: Aelfric (Blaec); Burghard (of Mendlesham); free men, three; free men, two.
Overlords in 1066: (Earl) Gyrth; (Archbishop) Stigand.
Lord in 1086: Roger Bigot.
Tenant-in-chief in 1086: Earl Hugh (of Chester).
Hapeton, Habeton, or Harpton advowson, was given by Sir Robert de Nerford, founder of Lingerescroft hospital by North-Creke, afterwards called the monastery of St. Mary de Pratis, or Creke abbey, to that house, to which it was appropriated, and was to be served by a chaplain or parish curate, to be nominated by the convent, and paid a competent annual stipend for the service, out of the profits; and Alice daughter of John Pounchard, formerly wife of Sir Robert de Nerford, confirmed it, with the moiety of the church of Wrenningham (as at p. 119,) as did King Edward I. in 1273.
The church is dedicated to St. Margaret, was first valued at 7, and after at 8 marks, and had 23 acres of glebe; it paid 5s. procurations, 22d. synodals, 8d. Peter-pence; and 4d. carvage; and the Abbot paid for his spirituals, 10s. 8d. to each tenth, and for his temporals 25s. 1d.
In 1314, John Ashwell, by royal license, aliened to the Abbot of Creke, three roods of land in Hapton, to enlarge the site of the rectory-house there.
In 1426, Brother Robert Felbrigge, abbot of Creke, sold to John Flete and his heirs, a messuage called Dalyots in Hapton, and 4 acres of land, paying 2s. and an hen yearly to that house.
In 1461, John Shelton, Esq. lessee to John, abbot of Creke, sealed to John Wode, then parish chaplain of Hapton, all the lands, houses, great and small tithes, for 10 years.
About 1506, this monastery was looked upon as dissolved, because the abbot died without a convent, to elect another; whereupon, all the lands and revenues, by the procurement of the Lady Margaret Countess of Richmond, mother to King Henry VII. were settled on her college in Cambridge called Christ’s college; and ever since, the impropriation hath remained in the master and fellows there, who nominate a perpetual curate to serve the parish, and pay him out of the profits, it having been esteemed a donative in their gift, ever since the foundation, and as such it now remains.
In 1603, Mr. Thomas Hutchinson, perpetual curate, returned answer, that there were 43 communicants, that the whole parish paid 50s. to each tenth, and that Christ’s college had 23 acres of glebe. The Prior of Thetford was taxed at 22d. ob. for temporals here; the Prior of Walsingham 6d. the Abbot of Sibeton 10s. and the Prior of Bukenham 2s. 9d. ob.
The church hath no steeple, the nave is leaded, and the chancel thatched; in the east window are the arms of Thorp, Clifton, and Caily, and az. three croslets arg. but there are no other memorials. There is a bell hanging in a wooden frame in the churchyard.
On the stocks:
Those that fear ***, and keep an honest Name, Shall not come here, to undergoe the Shame, Then you that suffer, don’t true Justice blame.