William White’s History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
HAPTON, 9 miles S.W. of Norwich, has in its parish 203 souls, and 657 acres of land, mostly the property of Hudson Gurney, Esq., but Lord Berners is lord of the manor.
The Church (St. Margaret,) is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at only £40. The Rev. Ezekiel Sparke, M.A., is the incumbent, and the patronage, with the appropriation of the tithes, belongs to Christ College, Cambridge.
Here is an Unitarian Chapel, which was built by Presbyterians in 1741, and is endowed with a good house for the minister, and about 115A. of land, left by a Mrs. Gay.
Baker Philip shoemaker
Carpenter Wm. farmer and butcher
Dix John vict. White Horse
Edwards Thomas farmer and land agent
George Robt. shopkeeper
Harn Jerh. shoemaker
Martin Samuel shoemaker
Rix Henry bricklayer
Selby Rev. Wm. Unitarian minister
Shimmon Robt. blacksmith
Smart Wm. wheelgt.
Sparke Rev. E., M.A. incumbent
Walker Wm. owner
Wicks Robt. shopkeeper
Francis White’s History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 354-355
[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002.]
HAPTON, a small parish, 9 miles S.W. of Norwich, has 47 houses, 207 souls, and 657 acres of land, belonging chiefly to Hudson Gurney, Esq.; but Lord Berners is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, stands on an eminence, and the living is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1841 at £40. The patronage, with the appropriation of the tithes, belongs to Christ’s College, Cambridge ; incumbent, Rev. Ezekiel Sparke, M.A. The father of the celebrated chancellor, Thurlow, was curate here. The Unitarian Chapel was built by the Presbyterians in 1741, and is endowed with a house for the minister, and about 115 acres of land left by Mrs. Gay. Here is a small parochial school.
Philip Baker, Jas. George, Jereh. Harn, and Saml. Martin, shoemakers
Jno. Dix, vict. White Horse
Hannah Goddard, schoolmistress ;
Jno. L. Green, blacksmith ;
Rev. Wm. Selby, (Unitarian);
Wm. Smart, wheelwright ;
Rev. Ezekiel Sparke, M.A., incumbent.
The farmers are—
Wm. Carpenter, (and butcher) ;
Thos. Edwards, (and land agent) and John Reeve.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002; links updated May 2010.
William White’s History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HAPTON, 9 miles S.W. of Norwich, is a parish in Depwade union, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Depwade petty sessional division and hundred, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, Depwade rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 195 inhabitants in 1881, living on 695 acres, and has a rateable value of £1141. The soil is mostly the property of Sir Charles Harvey.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret) comprises nave, chancel, and tower with one bell. It was thoroughly restored in 1869. In the church is a piscina. The perpetual curacy, valued at £125, is in the incumbency of the Rev. John Leach Mitchell Moore, M.A., who has a good residence and 2 acres of glebe; and the patronage, with the appropriation of the tithes, belongs to Christ Church College, Cambridge.
Here is a Presbyterian chapel, which was built in 1741, and endowed with a good house for the minister, and about 120 acres of land, by a Mrs. Elizabeth Gay. The Rev. James Knapton is the present minister.
The parish school is attended by about 45 children.
The population in 1883 was 147, a number of navvies being included in the return for 1881.
POST. – Letter-box cleared at 4.30 p.m., via Long Stratton, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Alliban Thomas farmer Barnes George shopkeeper Clithero James farmer Dix John vict. White Horse Inn Drake Robert shoemaker Green John blacksmith High Miss Mary Anne schoolmistress Horstead Mrs Mary Knapton Rev. James Presbyterian Chapel Leeder Nicholas farmer, Hapton hall Lockwood Thomas farmer Moore Rev. John Leach Mitchell curate Rattee Daniel farmer